Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Restaurant Week in The Promenade


                So as most of you may know, restaurant week is starting this Sunday and ending Thursday or next week.  I’ve often been less than impressed with restaurant week around this area.  If you go to NYC’s restaurant week, all the restaurants there break out amazing, diverse menus and the chefs do their best to impress diners from all over creation.  Here in the valley, it’s just a ploy to get people into a one size fits all menu that most of the time doesn’t even live up to the expectations of the restaurant to begin with.  And, in my case, I’ve been less than impressed with food as a whole at the Promenade as is.  The grand idea of what these restaurants are supposed to be doesn’t live up to what they really are – with a few exceptions.
                Kome has long been one of my favorite Japanese restaurants in the valley.  In fact, my wife and I decided to go out to dinner there for my birthday last year.  I like that it’s has a very chic décor, yet is unpretentious and very welcoming at the same time.  All aspects of this menu are diverse and interesting.  From a wonderful selection of sushi and sashimi so fresh you thought it was caught this morning (and might have been) to a steak so tender you would think you were eating at Bobby Flay Steak in Atlantic City, there is something for everyone here.  And I also feel that this comes out in the Restaurant Week Menu.  They put together a great hibachi lunch and dinner menu, that includes a sushi roll appetizer and then a create your own combo at the hibachi.  Or, if you aren’t into the hibachi thing, there is a traditional dinning menu with any kind of fare you want to eat.  If you haven’t been to this restaurant, I feel this menu will give you a good sense of what this place is about and you will not walk out disappointed!
                My other love in this selection of restaurants at The Promenade is White Orchid.  This restaurant reminds me so much of one of my favorite Thai restaurants in NYC – Thai Angel.  I’ve never had nearly as good Pad Kee Mao anywhere outside of Thai Angel, until I ate at White Orchid.  If you have never eaten Thai food, this is a great time to try it, at a low cost low risk environment.  While I was unimpressed by the atmosphere at the restaurant, it wasn’t uninviting.  I just couldn’t wrap my head around what it was supposed to be.  But that aside, the food is tremendous and the menu for Restaurant Week gives you a little taste of everything they do well. 
                As for the other restaurants in The Promenade, they just aren’t my cup of tea.  If I am paying $40 for steak at Shula’s, I want a dry aged well portioned and well cut steak.  Shula’s doesn’t deliver on any of these.  Wet aged, poorly cut and under seasoned steaks just aren’t worth the price.  I walked out of that place after a rather expensive bill and said, “It was ok.”  THESE AREN’T THINGS ANYONE SHOULD SAY AFTER A LARGE DINNER BILL!  But, for $39 per person, it’s hard to not be attracted to this place during this week and I don’t blame you for wanting to try it out.  But trust me, Outback’s steaks are just about the same, and probably better seasoned.  I had a similar reaction to Melt, only the food wasn’t even as good as Shula’s.  Terrible service, poor food quality and a huge loud room; these qualities don’t appeal to me at all.  Pacifico is a hit or miss place.  I had a reasonable meal there.  A very nice tuna tar-tar and a nicely prepared red snapper made for a pleasant dining experience.  My wife however, hated her experience there with her friends and won’t go back.  I’ve heard similar hit or miss stories from other people as well, so just be prepared for anything at this restaurant.
                I do hope you all attend Restaurant Week, but if you do, try something new.  There are dozens of steakhouses in the area and better Italian as well, but there are very few good sushi places as good as Kome and even less Thai places in the valley that can even compete with White Orchid.  You will not be sorry if you go.  Broaden your horizons and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment